Wednesday, January 9, 2019

The Library Book




I’m not typically a nonfiction reader unless it’s more of a narrative nonfiction.  After seeing some hyped reviews for this book about the Los Angeles fire of 1986, I really wanted to read it.  It seemed right up my alley:  a book about books!  However, it was a little off for me.

On the gorgeous front cover, there’s a review that says it’s a mix of “true crime, history, biography, and immersion journalism.”  This book doesn’t fit into just one nonfiction genre; it’s a mix of many different types which made it feel very disjointed for me.  Part of the story is the history of the Los Angeles public library, from it’s start as a gentlemen’s reading room to its current state as a modern day information center.  Part of the story is the history of libraries themselves, focusing on the history behind book burnings and library fires.  Part of the story is the Los Angeles library fire and the hunt for the arsonist.  Part of the story is Susan Orlean’s research process and interviews with past and current library staff.  

It was interesting, but all of the differing stories seemed to make it feel disjointed, in my opinion.  You’d be skipping from the background story of the main arson suspect to the modern day librarian interviews to World War II book burnings to the eccentric library director in 1905 who hiked from Chicago to Los Angeles.  I had a hard time staying engaged with the book because it seemed so scattered.  I’d get really into one chapter then find myself skimming the next to get through it.  

For anyone who loves libraries, history, and books, this will be a great book for you.  If you need linear, chronological order when reading a book, then you may just want to skip this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment