Thursday, January 3, 2019

New Year's Resolutions and Reading Challenges


I admit, I’ve never been one to pick a resolution for the new year (except that one year I tried to give up chocolate in college and it ended flopping like a professional basketball player).

So this year I’m doing something different:  I’m committing to a reading challenge.  

There are tons of reading challenges out there:  post a picture every day on a specific theme, read through the genres, read lesser known books with fewer review hits…but the one I’ve decided to do is the Unread Shelf Project for 2019.

My current unread stack of books

The rules are simple, read books you already own (or in my case, books that I’ve wanted to read but haven’t found the time).  I currently have a stack of 23 books next to my nightstand waiting to be read, another 18 books on my Kindle, and 71 books on my Goodreads “Want to Read” list.  And in all sincere honesty, I blame all of you for this.  You give me really good book recommendations.  My husband passes on great library finds to me.  Instagram is inundated with books, books, and more books.  I also blame myself.  I’m a mood reader, so if I’m reminded of a favorite book, I really want to go back to reread it (for example, I read Fangirl FOUR TIMES in 2018 because it’s my go-to book to destress my anxious mind).

So what are the specifics, you may ask?
  • January:  read any unread book
  • February: read a book gifted to you
  • March:  read the book that’s been on your self the longest
  • April: read the book you most recently acquired
  • May: read a book you bought because of the movie/TV/theater adaptation
  • June: read a book about travel or set in a country you’ve never been to
  • July: read a book from a series on your shelf or one you already started
  • August: read a book recommended for you by a friend
  • September:  read a book you can buddy read with someone else
  • October: read a book that scares you (can be its length, content, or genre that’s out of your comfort zone)
  • November: read a book from your favorite genre
  • December: read the shortest book on your shelf

Usually I read multiple books a month, so this will be one of my monthly picks to give me some emotional freedom to still moody read.

Want to join me?  I’d love the company and the accountability.
Happy reading in 2019!

No comments:

Post a Comment