Thursday, April 19, 2018

The Wedding Date



I didn’t want to write this review.  I was embarrassed.  I didn’t want people to judge me based on my book choices.  But a wise bookish person once told me, “Don’t let others shame you about what you read.  If you love it, read it!”  So here’s my admission:  I love cutesy, predictable romance books and movies.  I’m a sucker for a good rom-com.  The Holdiay?  I’ve seen it dozens of times.  You’ve Got Mail?  Yep.  You Drive Me Crazy?  Watched it recently and still find it adorable.  10 Things I Hate About You?  Practically had the movie memorized in high school.  The book The Wedding Date is not going to win any literary awards, but, much like these romantic comedies, it will make you giggle and sigh with a relaxed “didn’t that all work out well” feeling.  

The premise of the book can be found in the title alone:  Drew needs a date to his ex’s wedding when he finds himself stranded in an elevator with Alexa, a cute bubbly girl who would be the perfect distraction.  After hitting it off at the wedding, they decide to see each other the next weekend…and the next weekend…and the next weekend until they realize that there may be more to this relationship than a simple fling.  

Yes, you can predict the ending.  Yes, they do end up getting into a fight that results in a large dramatic demonstration of love.  But it’s all a part of the rom-com genre.  

My only caveat for this book is they do have sex…like a lot.  It’s nothing over-the-top graphic, but still, if innuendos and sexual banter makes you uncomfortable, it’s probably best to stay away.  Also, the characters are somewhat one sided. Don’t expect lots of dramatic insights and metacognitive awareness with this one.  It’s just plain good fun to read.  

So that’s my confession.  Whew!  Glad to get that off my chest!

No comments:

Post a Comment