Monday, October 29, 2018

The Darkdeep


So this middle grades read was an appropriate way to end by October reading.  Scary, horror reads aren’t really my thing (I have an overactive imagination, according to my mom), but I know lots of my kids really like the spooky, thriller stories.  This book is appropriately done with suspense without all the blood and gore that may scare off upper elementary kids.

After a bullying mishap, Nico, Emma, Tyler, and Opal find a hidden island in the middle of Still Cove, the eerie mist covered cove near their northwestern coastal town.  But the weirdest thing is the old houseboat floating on a lake with a swirling whirlpool under it.  They soon realize that this isn’t any ordinary island, and the secrets of the Darkdeep are more sinister than they first thought.

This is was a quick read for me, mostly because the authors pushed the action along as a fast pace without being confusing.  I also enjoyed the character dynamics, although Tyler and Emma seemed a little one-dimensional.  


I had the pleasure of hearing Brendan Reichs and Ally Condie speak about this novel at ReadUp Greenville this year, which was the main reason why I wanted to read it.  Their camaraderie and candidness was refreshing, and their playfulness does come through the characters as well.  Overall, it fits squarely into the “friends adventuring a secret while trying to outsmart their parents” genre of books.  This book seems to be geared more towards the tween crowd, as I could see my 8th graders scoffing at a few parts, but overall a solid start to the series (this is going to be a trilogy, so just be prepared for a little cliffhanger).  

No comments:

Post a Comment