Sunday, June 24, 2018

The Upside of Unrequited



This was one of my “whim” picks when spending some Barnes & Noble money.  I’ve read Becky Albertalli’s other novels (this one is a companion book to Simon vs. the Homo Sapiens Agenda and Leah on the Off Beat), and since she’s coming to Read Up Greenville in October, I thought I’d give this one a try.

The story is told from Molly’s perspective.  Her and her twin Cassie are cousins with Abby, the friend of Simon who moved to the suburbs of Atlanta after her parents divorced.  Molly and Cassie live in the DC area with their two moms and little brother.  Growing up they’ve been inseparable, but now they’re seventeen, things are changing.  Cassie has fallen hard for Mia, the first serious relationship she’s ever had, and Molly feels like she’s being pulled behind in her sister’s wake.  Cassie’s trying to push Molly together with Will, Mia’s friend, but Molly also has some mixed feelings towards Reid, her quirky coworker.  Molly's typical move is to have a crush but never move forward with any type of relationship for fear of rejection.  Ultimately, Molly realizes that it’s hard to put yourself out there emotionally and grow up.

I’m not going to lie, I wasn’t loving this book at the beginning.  I felt like it was difficult to understand the characters and their situation.  I guess coming off Simon’s story, which seemed so natural and organic, this one seemed more forced.  I thought that Molly’s sister’s attitude was a little grating, but maybe that’s because I found myself relating much more to Molly.  She’s introverted, doesn’t like putting her feelings out there, and feels insecure because of her body size.  She just seems like someone I would have befriended in high school because those were my biggest insecurities as well.  It was an okay read but not up to par with the rest of the companion books.

No comments:

Post a Comment