Wednesday, May 9, 2018

Simon vs. the Homo Sapiens Agenda


So a little context:  I follow Angie Thomas on Instagram (the author of The Hate U Give) and I saw this picture (below) from Y'all West.  Come to find out she’s friends with Becky Albertalli, the author of Simon vs. the Homo Sapiens Agenda, and Thomas’s main character, Starr, is cousins with Bram, a character from Albertalli’s book.  So now I had to read it because 1) I really liked The Hate U Give and 2) I think it’s awesome when authors support and are friends with other authors.



I’d seen this book before, so I understood the premise before getting started.  Simon is a high schooler with a secret:  he’s gay.  The only person who knows is Blue, an anonymous friend he met through a school Tumblr account.  The problem is now Martin, another boy from his school, knows and is using this knowledge as blackmail to coerce Simon into matching him up with Simon’s friend Abby. Throughout this, he’s also trying to figure out who Blue could be and dealing with his friends’ love triangle (Leah likes Nick but Nick likes Abby).  It’s all very high school drama-ish. 

The movie Love, Simon is based on this novel, so I haven’t seen the movie yet to compare notes.  Overall, it’s a cute story.  The action of the story is pushed along at a good pace, the reveal at the end just makes you sigh and say, “I knew it!”  Basically, it’s your typical rom-com but with gay main characters.  I enjoyed it, but as you know from my review of The Wedding Date, I’m secretly in love with rom-coms.  Now, if only the library would hurry up and get me Leah on the Offbeat, Albertalli's newest book, I'll be happy...


No comments:

Post a Comment