Thursday, April 5, 2018

The Martian: A letter to Mark Watney


Oh, Mark.  Dear, dear Mark.  I’m sorry for your troubles and I wish I could do something to help.  Instead I wait, restless and reading, to find out your outcome.  And it is awesome science all the way!

First, your perseverance is amazing!  I wish I had half of your tenacity.  Trying to survive on Mars all by yourself?  Trying to fix broken rovers, water systems, and HAB houses?  Trying to figure out a way to communicate with Earth while not starving?  You have a keen way to turning nothing into something.  Part of it is science and part of it is pure luck, but it makes for a riveting read nonetheless. 

You’re personality also shines.  You’re a constant joker, always seeing the humorous side of a situation instead of the near-death panic I would feel.  Even when things seem bleak--like when the airlock ripped and you got ejected into Mars atmosphere with a smashed faceplate or when you realized that you would starve from lack of caloric intake--did you give up?  No!  You found a way to repair the tear.  You found a way to grow potatoes in your HAB house.  However, you could cut down on the cursing.  As in you do it every time you talk.  

Finally, your cover art is--as the cool kids would say--on point.  I know there are probably some other covers out there with Matt Damon on the cover, but, as much as I admire Matt Damon, it pales in comparison to your captivating cover art.  I know, you’re not SUPPOSED to judge a book by it’s cover, but let’s be real.  People do it all the time.  And your cover is magnificently simple.

So, Mark, thank you for sharing your journey with me (and all other readers).  It was nail biting and times, side splitting at others.  It was a great illustration of what could happen if we just banded together to help another human being.  Like what you said, “But really, they did it because every human being has a basic instinct to help each other out.  It might not seem that way sometimes, but it’s true.”

No comments:

Post a Comment