Thursday, March 8, 2018

The Beauty That Remains



This book is achingly beautiful and poignant.  Over the three days it took me to read it, I cried.  Every.  Single.  Time.  But it was worth the extra tissues and puffy eyes.

The story revolves around three teens who’ve lost someone important in their lives:  Autumn’s best friend Tavia just died in a car accident, Logan’s ex-boyfriend Bram committed suicide a month ago, and Shay’s twin sister died of leukemia three months ago.  They are all going through grief and pain and loss and blame.  However, the one connection they all have is the band Unraveling Lovely.  Their lyrics are the backdrop to their pain and their go-to music to drown out their sadness.

The best thing about this book and the reason I would recommend it is how it deals with grief.  Not everyone will show their pain the same way.  Some, like Autumn, try to hold it in until they feel like they are downing without air.  Some, like Logan, try to escape into distractions and deny their pain.  Others, like Shay, start to have panic attacks at the most random times.  I think that sometimes we are told that we can only grieve one way when we have a loss or that there is a time frame for grief, but really it will be different for everyone.  But the best thing is that it teaches kids it’s okay.  It’s okay to feel like you’re going to burst into a million pieces over a simple toothbrush.  It’s okay to forgive, even if the person you need to forgive isn’t here anymore to hear you say it.  And it’s okay to talk about it.  Some of the characters end up getting professional help, but they all realize that they have to open up to their friends and those who love them to help them deal with their pain.  It doesn’t glamorize death.  It makes it real and painful and shows the reactions of those left behind in a true way.

Recently, I experienced this kind of grief. My cousin had a baby, the first cousin on that side of the family to have kids that my kids could play with.  His name was Aubrey, and he was perfect.  He lived a week before contracting a virus he couldn’t fight.  I never got to meet him, never got to tell him how loved he was, never got to introduce him to my boys, and that wrecked me.  The mother in me pours out to my cousin in pain and hope and understanding.  I know how easily something like this could happen to my boys.  Without my faith in a God that works all things for good, I don’t think I would have handled it as well.  I may not like the circumstances, but I can put my trust in an infallible God that heals broken hearts.

Bad things happen.  That is a fact of life.  This book let’s everyone know that although things may seem bleak, there is still beauty that remains.


*I’d recommend this for high school and up since it does have some situations of teen drinking and some drug/sex references.

**Thanks, Net Galley, for this book!  It was just released, so find it at your local library today.

No comments:

Post a Comment